Sunday, August 24, 2008

Restaurant Review: Cathay Kitchen (Dedham)

Restaurant Review: Cathay Kitchen
Downtown Dedham.

So I picked out our new local Chinese place. We ordered chicken with mixed vegetables, udon noodles with vegetables, vegetarian spring rolls, an egg roll, and some pork fried rice. In brief, the food was pretty decent for take-out, not really exceptional, but good enough to go there again. Really, how often does one have stunning Chinese food?

Rundown of the items:

  • Chicken with Mixed Vegetables -- had your classic brown sauce, good mix of vegetables. Grade: 82
  • Udon Noodles with Vegetables -- we weren't expecting what we got. I was expecting udon noodles with a light, clear sauce with steamed vegetables. In reality, the udon was served and fried lo mein style with minimal vegetables. If you're looking for healthy like we were, be warned. Grade: 75
  • Spring Rolls -- a tad greasier than I had liked. Grade: 79
  • Egg Rolls -- good flavor, not greasy, egg roll mixture wasn't a total mystery. Grade: 84
  • Pork Fried Rice -- pretty typical, but not bad. Grade: 84
It must be noted, I ordered a combo meal, and the amount of fried rice I got was insane. Also, the food presentation (not that I was expecting much or any) wasn't all that great, and frankly, was mediocre enough it would make some people falsely judge the food. On a more positive note, the staff was very friendly, and the establishment itself was very clean.


Chicken with Mixed Vegetables



Udon Noodles with Vegetables (Note browness and lack of discernable vegetables)



Rosanne's feelings about her meal (the udon noodles)


Overall conclusion: If you're looking for decent Chinese food in this area, you will be fairly pleased with Cathay Kitchen. Again, I wasn't blown away by my experience, but keeping in mind my expectations for Chinese food are typically low, I will return once again when I have the hankering for some kind of chicken or vegetable in the chef's special brown sauce.

Grade: 82

3 comments:

Rosanne said...

No more udon noodles from Cathay Kitchen. Too much like worms. Too brown. Not enough vegetables. Not enough flavor.

Anonymous said...

Still looking for good Chinese in Portland. God, that sounds so snobby. Anyway, Doug, I enjoy your "weblog" and I think your thought leadership deserves a wider audience than myself, girl-Chris, and Ro. You have to get on Facebook with the rest of us dorks and link to Cotton Mather from there. Girl-Chris did that, and within minutes, Mike Rush found her blog! Now THOSE are results you can leverage.

Rosanne said...

more content, please. i know you have tons of free time at work, so please blog hourly.