Saturday, September 13, 2008

Trying to sell stuff on Craig's List + Slater Mill

Today has been productive. I've been sick, went to Slater Mill, tried to sell a dresser and also edit in Final Cut Pro. I had some successes and some - you could say - challenges.

First, I awoke feeling like the way I did yesterday: stuffy head, fairly woozy, and just plain slow. Every word that came out of my mouth seemed to be in slow motion. Things did not really improve much until early evening health-wise. That being said, I still had a good day with Rosanne going to Slater Mill in Pawtucket, RI. I'd like to say we went for historical considerations, but rather, we went because we just saw Slater Mill on Ghost Hunters, one of our favorite programs on TV.

The Mill

We drove down to RI, which is not too far from us. I must say Rhode Island, while very close to us, has its own special flavor. Everybody we saw was very nice today, but this had to be one of the most bizarre historical tours I have ever taken. First, there were only two employees today working the mill -- they would rotate from being at the door and giving the tour. Giving the tours, both guides had a simple earnestness that was very admirable, but done with a local flavor that gave it a very unique twist. Our first guide mentioned how if a 12-year-old boy started bleeding into a machine, he just had to clean up the blood, and make sure he could continue working. To clarify, she mentioned that this mill only produced white thread, so the red would not do and hopefully the boy would still have enough blood to finish the job. We got a lot of little historical facts just like that to keep the day interesting.

While learning about history, we were also seeing if we could capture any ghostly encounters. Frankly, the only odd thing we saw were among the living, but we could definitely imagine some young child spirits there, since children were basically the main workforce for the whole factory. The machines we saw were imposing and ghastly -- imposing for most modern adult men -- let alone for a small child.

All in all, if you are in the area, do check out Slater Mill. The staff worked very hard and we had a great time.

VIDEOS!

I'm going to try to include more video in this here blog, so please enjoy me drilling a hole in a piece of wood at Slater Mill. The drill is powered by water, by a very large wheel -- very impressive.





Craig's List

Since I got my new old dresser, I'm trying to sell my old dresser. If you talk to me in person, I often complain about Craig's List, and once again, I've been stung. I was waiting tonight for like 90 minutes for the purchaser to show up to no avail. I had to put the cats in their respective rooms too so they wouldn't escape during the transaction. So in addition to waiting, I got to hear the cats howl. Yay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More videos, Cotton! Videos of the cats sleeping!