Sunday, September 7, 2008

Playing Catchup: Portsmouth

Dear Readers,

I've been bad. Very bad. I have not blogged in a week. Other things have got in our way, like work, life, cats, my wife (kidding), and eating. This week, I overheard someone comment that blogging can sometimes become a full-time occupation. A good occupation though. It allows us to reach our friends, and let them know what's going on in our lives and keep up as our lives get more seemingly complicated and busy. In order for me to stay connected, I may try my hand with Twitter, thus, you can follow me through my day as I tweet. Lovely.

Anyway, let's go ahead to Portsmouth. Last Sunday we went to New Hampshire to see probably the hippest city in the state. Portsmouth does a nice job of combining cultural vibrancy, history, and shopping (huh?) in one small, cute package. You can walk around beautiful Victorians, see old Colonials (see the John Paul Jones House), and still pick up your foo foo coffee in a short matter of time. We had a great day.

Below, you will see my virtual photo tour with commentary.


Who is this grumpy man, J. L. Coombs? This grumpy man sells shoes that Rosanne bought later in the day.



I finally buy my pink flamingos for the yard. I was looking for the reissue of the original Don Featherstone design; however, these were definitely good enough.



The Friendly Toast Men. This eatery is full of cool, kitschy items for you to look at it as you consume.



Neon sign.



My chicken burrito. It was interesting because it had a corn salsa topping and olives in it. I may review this place in a later blog.



Rosanne's melt sandwich. It had ham, brie, and asparagus. Very melty.



John Paul John's house. JPJ wasn't just the bass player for LZ, he was also a mighty sea captain.



I was surprised to see lobster art in Portsmouth, as it seemed like Portland, ME, had cornered the market. This sculpture was downtown to greet everybody as they enjoyed the day.



New Hampshire is very interesting as it has its own state liquor stores. This store had cases of hard liquor and wine -- but no beer. I had to have my picture taken in front of this noble state institution.

Portsmouth Recap...

Anyone in the area I definitely recommend you check out this little place right on the border of MA, ME, and NH. I don't know if I'd stay for more than a day (it is small), but for those looking for a day trip this won't disappoint.

Poll Update
It seems as if we had a double vote on last week's poll, which basically ruined it for all of you. We're redoing the poll, and if the results are valid, I will keep or shave my beard.



3 comments:

girl chris said...

I loooove JL Coombs. There's one a couple blocks from my office, and I fear I might be accused of stalking their shop windows soon.

Rosanne said...

Cotton, I fear what you think is a lobstah is actually an ant. Note the lack of claws and tail.

Anonymous said...

Dude!! I used to be a regular over at the friendly toast. The owners lived 2 doors down from me in Dover. Love that place!