Sunday, January 27, 2013

Adios Cable

So we're a bit into 2013, and without really having an explicit plan (re: some detailed spreadsheet to life), things are evolving pretty steadily. For a lack of better phrase, a lot minimizing has been happening, taking stock of how all my daily activities connect to each other, particularly my stress levels, consumer behavior, work-life, and prioritizing what I actually want to do.

A lot HAS happened, but the main thing to note is we are finally getting rid of cable. While it's a not a huge chunk we're saving, this is has the potential to be a symbolic victory, cutting the boob tube cord. I've talked about this the past two years, trying to find the right time to do this, and frankly, we seldom watch cable tv now, so now is quite a practical decision (it's easier for me to make decisions when they are more outcome based, rather than get overly philosophical with no real obvious better or worse). I ordered an antenna so we can pull in OTA (fancy shortcut for over the air tv), which I'll be getting later this week. That combined with Netflix on the Roku, and I think we'll be covered.

The one thing I will miss is the access to the Travel Channel watching Ghost Adventures. Travel Channel seems to have very limitation distribution on streaming services, as it's not available on Hulu and little access over Netflix. It is available on iTunes, but we'll cross that bridge when we have to.

We're doing other things as well, but wanted to get this captured on the blog. To my two readers, I hope you are well!

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

Blogs! Feels so old-school. But I like the documentation of life events, and sometimes you just need to write things down.

cottonmather said...

Hi there! Yes, indeed. I'm keeping things fairly banal for the Internerd crowd can occasionally be the asshole bunch.