Sunday, June 26, 2011

Do Not Worry

It's been a busy weekend, full of a lot of activities -- I'm actually surprised how much I (and we got done) this weekend. I'd like to start this post with a short passage from Hemingway:

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."

I had picked up Movable Feast again after seeing Midnight in Paris for the second time. It was a great movie, and I heartily recommend it. Woody Allen really captured the beauty of Paris similar to what what he did for NYC in Manhattan, plus he touched on some timeless themes about how we live and we fulfill ourselves, be it through jobs, passions, higher pursuits, etc. I was very taken with the Hemingway character in the movie who spoke with a direct voice, full of insight coupled male heroic bravado. Anyway, in regards to the quote, I connected with it on the level of how do we actually say anything meaningful in life, art, music, or whatever. My brain at least is always thinking on some many levels, I frequently prevent myself from starting AND completing many things. I get sidetracked and ask too many peripheral questions. How do you stay focused? Something a 12-year-old could tell you, focus on the truth. Thank you Hemingway.

This weekend I also attended the Design for Drupal conference at MIT on Saturday. This was a big event focusing on the designer community (hence the name), engaging and to integrating it into the larger Drupal community. For those not familiar, Drupal is a VERY popular content management system-- essentially a tool that lets you manage your website without knowing fancy code. I had an excellent time there, and it's been refreshing so far with my new job to be in a position of actual doing. At my last job, I grew accustomed to what seemed like a million meta-conversations that seldom resulted in getting anything done. Related, it's been nice to focus on the facts at hand (website development, meeting new people). If you live in a sea of gray long enough, you begin to forget what the truth is.

After the excellent conference, Rosanne and I got to eat some dinner and we moseyed our way over to the Brattle Theatre to watch a classic. As you probably don't know, I've been focusing a lot more on film this year (yes the film as in the higher culture variety as some people like to make fun of me for,), and part of that mission has been going to great places like the Coolidge Theater in Brookline, the Dedham Community theater, and now the Brattle. We got to see a restored version of African Queen that was great. Some parts of the story I didn't totally buy (why did they have to sink that German ship if Boghart had a decade's worth of gin and food?), but the movie really shined in the interactions between Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart. Good stuff!

Today was equally action-packed as we went to the Wilson Mountain Reservation in Dedham, the Arnold Arboretum, and also found a new friend. Walking all around the parks today, Rosanne and I made the obvious conclusion we needed a dog. How can you not walk a trail without a dog? That's what we thought too. Based on that, we visited the Angell Memorial shelter and the Animal Rescue League. Well, we didn't see any dogs, but we did bump into one fine cat. In one of the crate/cage things we saw this little guy named Russo. Russo had almost died when he was dropped off, as he was suffering from a serious wound. He was basically saved by the the emergency vet in Walpole (same vet we took Wyatt too last year), and has been recovering for the past two months. We met him, and he had the best personality. Just a few moments ago I was hanging out with him and he was purring like he's know me for 10 years. We really connected with him, and we took him home. The little guy's eight years old, and it felt to bring him home --welcome to the family!

1 comment:

Rosanne said...

Meg can't wait to meet her new friend! She hopes he licks her ears a lot and answers her calls for love.